Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Goodbye Idaho "Legends" zone!


This is my 12/12/12 at 12:12 picture...The smile is weak, because I had a high fever and just got done throwing up all morning in this picture, ha-ha...the stress of all those 12's was two much for me.
Goodbye Idaho "legends" zone! I will be transferred to Mount Lewis Alpha in North Ogden to be serving as the district leader. (Right next to my greenie area!) I will be serving with a couple, or maybe one, visa waiter starting tomorrow.  I am not even really sure which companion I will have: Elder Jones, Elder Shumway, or Elder Bozarth...probably the latter, but I don't know yet. They are all headed to Spain except for Elder Jones; he is going to Argentina with Elder Ireland.

So this has been a different week. We have all three of us had the flu all week! We had had it the week before that, and it wasn't too bad. I woke up early on Wednesday and was feeling awful and went to zone study with a fever. I figured that Elder Masima wouldn't let a little sickness stop him, so we tracted in the 20 degree snow that day while I had a fever. It turns out I am just not as tough as Elder Masima; by Saturday we were all throwing up and had fevers. I pretty much slept on the bathroom floor all day Saturday. I kept feeling guilty for taking the "day off," but I wasn't enjoying myself at least. I am a little better now. Unfortunately we missed a couple lessons that night, but overall, it just made it an unproductive week this week. Luckily we are recovering.

It can really snow in Idaho! So we found a cool guy this week. We asked if he served a mission, and he said, “No, I was called to be a stake president when I was 19!” It was in 1950, but still it was pretty cool. He had some good stories to tell. So one thing I will miss about Idaho is how much people love the missionaries here. We were standing there in the church on Sunday waiting for our ward mission leader and there were a group of probably 8 to 10 year old kids standing about 30 feet away from us in the hallway. As we listened we could hear them daring each other to go and shake our hand, but they were all too scared, ha-ha. Eventually the teacher was brave enough to take the lead, and they all took turns meeting us and shaking our hands. We also had someone anonymously pay for us at Tapatio, Subway, and Chinese this week! So that is pretty cool.

So we had exchanges this week. I am not a big fan of exchanges, because all it does is put me with someone who doesn’t speak Spanish so I just teach all the lessons by myself for a day. But it is good, I guess, because that is what we are supposed to do. Elder Staggs has been a good district leader and will be staying up here and training. But the cool part about exchanges was we discovered a gold mine of people that I had never found before. Dayton is a little ways away, and we have driven out there to check it out before and just saw a couple houses and left. It turns out that if you keep driving for like three more miles after that then there are like 20 Hispanics living out there! It was so exciting I couldn't wait to tell Elder Ireland and Elder Senn. Hopefully that will keep Elder Senn and his new companion busy.

SO the snow...on the biggest snowstorm I have ever seen (that’s not saying much, I guess...), we had to drive up to Soda Springs for district meeting…and of course we didn’t have snow tires. We were sliding all over the place. You could hardly even see in front of you, because everything was so white. We got stuck three times that day and had to have people push us out. We waited for a few hours for it to calm down before driving back. It wasn't getting better so we just went anyway. The snow was so thick you couldn't even see! I definitely don't want to have to do that again. It snows pretty hard in Soda Springs, and the highway was so slick. So, thanks for all your prayers, because I am pretty sure that is what saved us. Probably about 10 miles of that drive you are driving next to the edge of a cliff, so there were definitely a lot of prayers being said. But we still just have our Malibu, but the next day we got permission to get snow tires, so that is good. I am sorry if that story scared you mom, but it's over now, and I am still alive! :)

So my new boots got here! They are the best...the first day I wore them there was only like an inch of snow, but I had to do it anyways. Then the next day were just snow storms all day which meant walking out onto farms into a few inches of snow so I am putting them to good use. I really hope I still get to use them in Ogden. I don't know if I mentioned this, but I will be walking/on bikes in Ogden. I am pretty excited about that assuming I get better from my cold by then.

So, last night I was with my zone leaders when President called me. They were actually just trying to torture me and convince me they already knew where I was going and that I was getting somebody really bad, and they had me almost convinced, and then president called. He just asked if I am worthy to accept an assignment, and I said yes, and he said Mount Lewis Alpha district leader! I won't say I was disappointed, but I was. I was hoping it was a call to train, but I guess it will be good. I really don't want to give trainings though. I don't know what I will say. And I have never even looked at a call-in summary report. I hope somebody explains these things to me at some point. I really don't know how that works.

We met a few new interesting people this week. One lady rejected our message, because she thinks we are crazy for thinking the world ends on Friday. She didn't believe us when we said we didn't believe that, but of course who else would have thought of that besides the Mormons? Hopefully she decided just to google it. I am excited for December 21 though…maybe something cool will happen...and I will be in Ogden so if the world will end anywhere, it will definitely be in Ogden. There is quite a good amount of wickedness there. At least I won't be there for the civil war in Southeastern Idaho that everyone tells us is inevitable.

So something crazy happened this week! Ignacia's husband left her again...and it’s supposedly for good this time. So now she can get baptized, but of course it's when I am getting transferred. I really hope the new missionary coming works to make it happen. She really needs it, and hopefully he is gone for good this time; she really doesn't want him there. At least for now, he is living in Orem with his other girlfriend. We found a couple new people in Grace and have one member that is inviting their friends to receive a lesson in their house tonight, so that is pretty exciting. We will have to see how it goes. Roberto should be baptized on the fifth of January unless the world ends. It's too bad we couldn't make it happen before then. Idaho is such a good place...I am really sad to be leaving it. Especially because chances are I won't ever go back during my mission. I'll definitely have to go back and visit one day after the mission.

Being with a visa waiter will be good, but I just realized it will be my first time without a fluent companion. I hope I don't have any Spanish questions, ha-ha. Well I hope everyone is doing well! Merry almost Christmas! I go to my new area tomorrow morning…time to get packing.
Elder Bassett

PS My new companions say that we will be skyping between 11 and 1 our time...or at four...ha-ha. I’m not sure what that means; I guess I will figure it out when I get down there. Will that work?

Also, I went a little overboard and opened most of the 12 days of Christmas packages, ha-ha. I wanted to give Elder Senn and Ireland theirs before we split up, but the stocking is still unopened!

Our pictures made it on the Wall of Flame!



No comments: